- Vice-President, European Parliament
- Head of the SYRIZA delegation
- Member of the European Parliament’s “Progressive Caucus” steering commitee
Member, Parliament’s Bureau
Member, Confederal Group of the European United Left – Nordic Green Left
Member, Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs
Member, Delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly
Member, Coalition of the Radical Left
Substitute, Committee on Regional Development
Substitute, Delegation for relations with the People’s Republic of China
Substitute, Delegation for relations with the countries of Southeast Asia and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Born in 1955 in Athens. Graduated with distinction from Varvakeio Junior High School of Athens and studied with scholarship at the School of Civil Engineering of NTUA (National Technical University of Athens).
- He has worked as an engineer and business executive (1980-2004).
Since the age of 18 and his student days, he participates actively and joins the left movement, where he remains since then.
- Member of the Presidium of the Central Committee of National Student Union of Greece (1976-1979), of the leadership of the Communist youth organization “Rigas Feraios” and later at the leadership of the “Greek Communist Party of the Interior” (Eurocommunist) and political party of E.AR (“Greek Left”).
- Member of the Joint Committee who prepared the common Report between E.AR and the Communist Party of Greece (1988), which led to the formation of the Coalition of the Left. – – Member of the elected leading bodies of the Coalition of the Left – since its formation as a single party (1992)- and later SYRIZA.
- He was elected to the European Parliament (2004-2009) and the Greek Parliament (2009-2014).
- Member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (2009-2014) and Vice President of the Group of the Unified European Left (UEL).
- He was re-elected as MEP in the 2014 European elections. At the suggestion of Alexis Tsipras, he was unanimously elected head of the SYRIZA delegation at the European Parliament.
- In July of 2014, he was elected Vice-President of the European Parliament with a percentage of positive votes 42.1%.
- He was re-elected Vice President in January 2017 with a new percentage of positive votes measuring 73.5%.
From 2014 to 2019, he is the only Greek and the only representative from the GUE-NGL political group at the Presidium of the European Parliament.